Thursday, April 16, 2009

my boyfriend's ideas

so... i showed my boyfriend my blog and a website i had found about reggae. The question I found was on the Lion of Zion website (link here: http://www.lionofzion.com/faq/78da33340300009a0068/The+Reggae+Stigma.html)

The question was: You have chosen reggae music as your musical vehicle. How do you combat the stigma of what reggae music means to most secular audiences of today? And when on stage at a non-Christian venue, do you feel uncomfortable in any way?

When I asked this to my partner Dustin his answer did not actually surprise me... 'Aren't they all just people with dreadlocks who smoke weed?' His comment, coming from someone who works in the industy illustrates the ignorance so many of our population in Australia have about reggae music. Considering Dustin said this after I had informed him that reggae music was actually part of the rastafarian culture it seems to say alot. Most people when they hear reggae music simply think of the weed and the relaxation obtained from it. By no means would many people think that Jesus is in anyway connected.

Surprising but true.

I will return to this topic of the stigma of reggae music... my boyfriend has alone proven that reggae is much misunderstood by collective subcultures... the stereotype standing too proud. Being General Manager of two clubs in Brisbane which incorporate very different music and crowds he is not averse to being subjected to new ideas but telling him that Jesus featured in reggae shocked him more than I would assume.

This does nothing but encourage me to investigate his crazy thoughts further... and see if it is common among society...

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment